Tuesday, May 1, 2012

On Saturday Ali and I went to the Spring into Action Diabetes Expo at the Hampton Inn.  We went last year and I was shocked by how much things seemed to have changed for us.

Alison has grown up so much in the 22 months since her diagnosis.  Part of that must be the difference between a 2.5 year-old and a 4 year-old, but I imagine that the other part is living with Type 1.  I asked her, on our walk to the hotel, if she knew what it meant to have Diabetes and her response was that her pancreas was sleeping and that it would not wake up.  She also understood that because of this, her body no longer makes insulin and that she needs her pump to supply her with the insulin that she needs to carry the sugar from her food out of her body.

Part of me was very proud that my daughter is smart enough to grasp such a complex idea - Ali is bright and I couldn’t be more pleased about that, but it also breaks my heart to know that she understands the sad reality that is part of her life and always will be.  No parent wants to hear that their four-year-old understands that without a machine, they will become gravely ill and they know it.

We were so lucky to meet some great people at the Expo.  We got to catch up with some old friends and make new ones.  I was especially pleased with the session "Does Anyone Know What I am Going Through" where a panel of young Diabetics and their families discussed what their challenges and triumphs have been. The young men and ladies, and their parents were so open, honest and frank and my eyes were seldom dry.

Looking forward to next year's event and seeing where we are in our journey by 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment