Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 11 of #HAWMC:
Favorite Social Network.

Today's Health Activist blogging challenge topic is to post about your favorite social network.  Now this is one of those can of worms, I know, but hear me out.

In July of 2010, when Alison was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, I was lost.  I didn't know anyone who's children had diabetes.  I didn't know of anyone who had gone through what I was going through.  I wasn't about to put out an ad looking for like minded parents.  I was lost.

On Facebook I found a friend that I had been "friends" with for many years, but had not been close to who's son's story almost mirror's Alison's.  But I also made many, many other friends who are caregivers to children or spouses of people with diabetes.  They not only point me in the right direction to finding the right information from the appropriate sources, but have provided countless hours of support, and dare I say, love?

That's the power that Facebook, or any social app, has, if the people in the driver's seat, are steering in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I was hoping to get in touch with you about your blog with a quick question. Do you think you could email me when you see this? Thanks so much.
    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete