Monday, April 1, 2013

WEGO CHALLENGE DAY 1

Ah!  Easter weekend.  I find it great that the The Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge 2013 started around the Easter long weekend (this is my first attempt at it, so bear with folks) because I always find the time leading up to the Bunny's arrival both a great time to educate and a little daunting.

It is a wonderful time for me, as a parent of a type 1 diabetic child, and, by default, an advocate for the cause, to teach those who have had no contact with the world that "we the D" live in, but it can sometimes be frustrating.  I know that this is because of  my own selfishness and impatience at answering the same questions.  I cannot blame the person who has no diabetes experience for not knowing how someone with this disease lives.

So, I put on my smile and try not to look too impatient when I tell people, again that Alison does get a visit from the Easter Bunny, and he does bring chocolate eggs, she just doesn't eat them all in one sitting!  I try to add levity and tell them that the only things that Alison can't eat are poison and cookies...made with poison.  I tell them that she east how all healthy children should eat, healthfully and that the insulin takes care of the rest.

BTW, the best way you can help is to sponsor Alison in the Telus Walk to Cure Diabetes...here comes the guilt trip, she has raised no money yet..sniff, sniff....just go to http://jdrfca.donordrive.com and type in Alison Morley.  It's that easy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment