Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day 4 of WEGO  30 day, 30 post challenge
Sharing Resources.

So my goal today is to create a “care page” for someone who is newly diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  A one stop shop to get you, the out-of-the-frying-pan, into-the-fire T1D, or parent of one, who’s head is still reeling and who’s room won’t stop spinning, onto solid ground, or at least point you towards it.

There’s no one size fits all, but here’s what worked for me.  Just keep in mind that it took me about eight months of sulking to get to the point of looking for help (now I was in the middle of a rough pregnancy and dealing with my mother’s terminal illness and those may have played a part).  I let my wonderful husband, Terry, take care of all things Diabetes until I was ready to face up to Alison’s diabetes…it takes time, so don’t expect to be ready to go on day one.

First things first, I took a course on living with a chronic illness.  I took one the one in Ottawa from Champlain Health, but I am sure that there are other health care organizations in your area that would offer similar courses.

There are great websites listed on the sidebar of my blog that you can visit for support.  Some, not to name them all are: JDRF Canada or JDRF USA, Children with Diabetes,.  These will give you facts on advocacy, tips and where to get help. 

Also, Google and youtube things.  I found that I would, and sometimes still do, google set changes or injections just as a refresher.  There are so many parents, nurses and companies that create videos on how to check blood sugar, how to inject a needle, how to do a site change…if you are not sure, look it up!!!

For me, a little levity, hope and some downright sarcasm is the way I approach most adverse situations.  Here are some inspiring, sometimes “tell it like it is” folks that I just couldn’t make it through life without.  Most of these people I am proud to call my friends, but I used to just watch them anonymously before:

 Mike Lawson  Socially Diabetic  Mike is the king of sticky note inspirations but don’t let the depth of his testimonials fool you,  there are days (usually the ones where I am really frustrated with the rest of the world) where he seems to echo my thoughts and give the non DOC (Diabetic Online Community) what-for.

The Blue Heel Society run by Diane Pridmore, Tony Cervati, Jenn Hamilton Loving and Thomas Moore is an awesome site!  It's all about advocacy in blue shoes baby! In fact, I am wearing my blue shoes as I type this post. I cannot say enough good this about these people.  Jenn and Diane have been a candle in the window for me on dark and stormy nights.

Scott Benner, published author of Life is Short, Laundry is Eternal, Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Dad and author of the blog called Arden's Day.  Scott’s blog is a wonderful, honest account of a father’s perspective on being a caregiver for a child with T1D.  I visit there often and have found his writing to be amusing, touching and profound.  Scott is always open to questions.

And you can visit me if you wish.  I don’t have answers, but you can always bare your soul, and maybe I can point you to the right person, because I have probably been feeling what you’re feeling, in this share experience, this family called the DOC, we’re all in it together and that is truly the best resource we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment